Our closing date came up so fast and I never got a chance to address blue tape. This is the term used when you have your walkthrough with the builder a week before closing. There are actually a few different colors of tape depending on what needs to be fixed (drywall, baseboard touch ups, stucco, etc). We did notice a lot of things that needed attention and I’m notorious for holding up the line and backing them up to point out areas that need tape. I told one of my clients recently that I have zero OCD unless I’m at a blue tape walkthrough.
Most people would say “I don’t need a Realtor with me for blue tape”. That couldn’t be more from the truth. A lot of people have anxiety asking for cosmetic fixes and they get caught up in the excitement that they are finally almost homeowners. Also, most of the time, people have no idea what to even be looking for. It’s always a good idea to have an extra pair of eyes at your walkthrough!
Here are some of my personal tips for your Blue Tape Walkthrough:
1) Make sure you eat before. This could be a 2 hour appointment and you don’t want to be hangry and rushing through your walkthrough.
2) Get a babysitter!
3) Bring water just in case they don’t bring you any.
4) Bring some toilet paper because… You know!
5) Take photos of items you want to remember to check on at your final walkthrough.
6) Bring a list of upgrades you chose. You’ll often forget some of them and you want to make sure you get everything you paid for. It’s also a good idea to visit the home throughout the build so you can catch major issues. I do this for my clients too! In our home the builder put in the wrong baseboards!!
7) Get excited because you’re almost homeowners!!
And of course, if you’re thinking about building a new home, contact me! It doesn’t cost you anything to work with a Realtor on your new build. In fact, I have coupons that will put money back in your pocket!
Feel free to call, text, email or Facebook! I’m always happy to talk new builds.
Jen Duncan a.k.a. #NewBuildNinja